Globally, more than 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression. (source) That is a staggering number. Depression affects women more than men and can be literally debilitating. It's a serious issue that is often pushed to the side because of a desire to be socially accepted, because of stigmas, because "surely that can't be what's wrong with me!"... Depression does not discriminate - rich, poor, healthy, sick, skinny, chubby, everything in life you want, or everything falling apart.
I lead a blessed life. I believe in God and I pray daily. I still battle with anxiety and depression. For years, I tried prescription medications, all of which made me feel worse - like I simply could not be happy. A grey fog ruled my life and I decided many years ago that depression was actually better than feeling like that because at least there were happy times.
Hear my heart, friends. In absolutely no way am I telling you to quit your medications for depression and anxiety. Please consult your physician before you make a decision like that. Stopping these meds cold turkey can cause a lot of issues. If you decide to go in that direction, seek guidance from a professional. I am simply telling you what I have had success with, and try to give you other options.
So, here are 17 Young Living Essential Oils that either myself or my friends have had successes using and a tiny bit about how to go about using them. How do you choose? Where do you start? Our bodies are extremely complex. Just like people choose different prescription meds, different Essential Oils will work differently for different people. Several of these oils are in the Premium Starter Kit, which is a great way to get your foot in the door and try several things on a budget.
1. Frankincense - Click here to find lots of information on Frankincense essential oil. Tons of studies have been done on using Frankincense as a depression remedy. This oil is high in sesquiterpenes which are able to cross the blood/brain barrier, making it a wonderful option for depression. Apply a couple drops to your hands, rub together and cup over your nose and mouth, breathing in deeply. You can also try applying one drop to the crown of your head. Frankincense is included in the Premium Starter Kit.
2. Peace and Calming - Simply breathing in Peace and Calming instantly calms me down. This blend is included in the Premium Starter Kit and is a great option for daily use.
3. Valor - MY favorite oil ever, Valor is a must in my arsenal for oils to conquer depression and anxiety. I usually apply Valor to the back of my neck or to my wrists when I am feeling edgy. This oil is also included in the Premium Starter Kit.
4. Joy - The scent of Joy was, at first, a little powerful for me, but after multiple success stories using this oil, it is one of my favorites. If you do not like the scent, try using it on your feet. If you do like it, apply over your heart or on your pulse points for a boost. This oil is also included in the Premium Starter Kit.
5. Stress Away - This oil blend is not in my daily rotation, but I have many friends who swear by this little green bottle of awesome. It smells fantastic, too, so you could easily use it as a perfume replacement. It is also a freebie when you purchase a Premium Starter Kit.
6. White Angelica - This oil blend has made the biggest noticeable difference for me. I apply one drop to my wrists and rub them together. It smells awesome and really helps me with my negativity, which in turn, helps with my depression.
7. Believe - I use Believe nightly in my diffuser. It has been pretty incredible to watch how this has helped my husband and I sleep better and how it has impacted my moods throughout the day.
8. Tranquil - I use this oil often on my daughter. She has a lot of anxiety at night that causes her to have a hard time getting to sleep. We rub a drop of Tranquil on the inside of her forearm and it really helps lessen her anxiety.
9. Humility - There are several oils that contain Melissa and this is one of them. These oils are great for helping to boost the mood and calm the spirit.
10. Grounding - Another oil that my daughter and I use often, this oil helps the brain put things into perspective, which helps with anxiety.
11. Bergamot - I diffuse this oil often. Such a lovely scent that is truly uplifting. When I am tired or I have had a hard day, this oil goes in my diffuser or in my diffuser necklace.
12. Ylang Ylang - Ylang Ylang helps to combat anger and negative emotions. It also helps with low self esteem (now you see why it's great for libido, too! *wink wink*).
13. Magnify Your Purpose - From the Essential Oils Pocket Reference, "This blend stimulates the endocrine system for greater energy low to the right hemisphere of the brain, activating creativity, motivation and focus."
14. Citrus Fresh - According to Young Living's School of Nature's Remedies, a study was done in 2004 on 150 adults diagnosed with major depression. 10 drops of Citrus Fresh 3 times a day was found to be more effective than leading anti-depressants. Bonus - it's a very inexpensive oil blend!
15. Christmas Spirit - Christmas in July is a thing, right? ;) This oil blend brings joy, peace, happiness and security.
16. Surrender - This blend helps release stress and tension, aggression and a controlling attitude.
17. Progressence Plus - Many times, when you stop and examine the source of your emotional stresses, women find that hormones play a huge role in their mental state. Progressence Plus helps to regulate hormones, which could in turn help to manage depression.
If you are struggling with Anxiety and Depression, I urge you to talk to someone. Do not suffer in silence. Talk to a doctor or a counselor - there is help for you! If you are exploring your options, I hope this list has sparked some ideas for you. As I write this blog post, I pray you find the perfect option for you and that you find relief! I am so thankful for Young Living and the help I have received. Blessings on you, friend!
*Ok, ya'll... you know my heart here - I am not telling you to ditch the advise of your sage doctors. I am simply telling you how these oils have changed MY life. As always, use common sense and seek counsel from doctors and certified naturopaths.